Next Seminar: December 7, 2018
Established in 1962, the Fluid Power Institute™ (FPI) at MSOE is a leader in fluid power education, motion control, research and evaluation, distinguishing itself as one of the nation’s foremost academic fluid power research laboratories.
To further support its industrial partners, the FPI has established the Fluid Power Industrial Consortium (FPIC) to provide quarterly half-day seminars on the latest fluid power technology advances with immediate implementation.
The annual membership fee of $2,000 enables a company to send up to four (4) of its employees to the quarterly seminars. With a combination of OEMs, manufacturers, SMEs, distributors, etc., the consortium provides a platform for networking, problem solving and access to cutting edge technology. Presenters will be leaders from their specific areas of expertise.
The National Fluid Power Association (NFPA) is a supporting partner of the FPIC. As a result, NFPA member companies are exempt from the annual FPIC membership fee and are able to participate freely in the quarterly seminars. Members of NFPA’s Roadmap Committee, who assist the association in maintaining the NFPA Technology Roadmap, are especially encouraged to participate. It is expected that FPIC seminar topics will provide Roadmap Committee members with an ideal way to stay abreast of the technological advancements that will help meet the future needs of fluid power customers, expand fluid power into new customer markets, and attract the best and brightest young engineers to fluid power.
Benefits of the consortium include:
- Access to the latest technology advances in fluid power vetted for no-sales pitch
- Opportunity to educate employees on current advances within the fluid power industry
- Association and networking with diverse industries
- Interaction with the FPI’s students, engineers and researchers
- Member discount for professional education training
Seminar locations and agendas will be announced as each meeting date draws nearer.
Upcoming seminar topics will focus on, but are not limited to, the following areas:
NFPA Technology Roadmap objectives:
- Increasing the energy efficiency of fluid power components and systems.
- Improving the reliability of fluid power components and systems (e.g., increasing up-time, reducing maintenance requirements, making fluid power safe and easy to use).
- Reducing the size of fluid power components and systems while maintaining or increasing their power output.
- Building “smart” fluid power components and systems (i.e., ones that perform self-diagnostics and troubleshooting and that integrate easily with “plug and play” functionality).
- Reducing the environmental impact of fluid power components and systems (e.g., lowering noise, eliminating leaks).
- Improving and applying the energy storage capabilities of fluid power components and systems.
Fluid Power Manufacturing Roadmap objectives:
- Improving the manufacture and function of fluid power components and systems through:
- Composites and engineered plastics
- Sintered metals
- Additive manufacturing
- Batch-free heat treating
- Hybrid manufacturing
- In-process sensing, feedback, and control
For more information:
NFPA members should contact:
National Fluid Power Association
(414)778-3351 | email@example.com
Other companies and organizations should contact:
Dean of Applied Research
Milwaukee School of Engineering
(414)277-7416 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Director, Fluid Power Institute™
Milwaukee School of Engineering
(414)277-7191 | email@example.com
Fluid Power Distributors Association (FPDA) is a distribution-centric collaborative organization dedicated to delivering networking, education, best practices and business intelligence designed to enhance business performance. It was founded as the Fluid Power Distributors Association in 1974 by hydraulic and pneumatic distributors who wanted to further their common interests and protect their position in the fluid power supply chain by sharing resources, ideas, and time. A few years ago, FPDA widened its horizons and embraced the new dynamic technologies that share the fluid power marketplace of the 21st century. They became known as The FPDA Motion & Control Network.
For more information, visit www.fpda.org
The International Fluid Power Society (IFPS) is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) professional organization of individuals dedicated to enhancing the quality of certifications, educational opportunities, technology evolution, and professionalism within the fluid power and motion control industry. The IFPS was started in Detroit, Michigan, in 1960 by a group of 30 professionals interested in supporting the future of the fluid power industry and the ever-changing technologies involved.
Today, its membership is nearly 4,500. Beginning with the first Fluid Power Hydraulic Specialist Certification in 1980, the IFPS has become the recognized industry leader in fluid power and motion control certifications. Fifteen different certifications are currently offered with two certifications in development. These certifications cover diverse job descriptions within the industry including mechanic, technician, specialist, system designer, and engineer. The IFPS has nearly 10,000 active certification holders throughout the United States and in many countries around the world.
For more information, visit www.ifps.org
Note:The names that appear on this list have been volunteered by persons who have identified themselves as fluid power consultants. The names are in alphabetical order. Appearance on this list should not be construed as either a recommendation or endorsement by NFPA or an affirmation of professional competence.
If you'd like your name included on this list, please submit an application and payment of $200 fee.
||Khalil, Medhat K. Bahr, Ph.D.
Director of Professional Education and Research Development
Certified Fluid Power Hydraulic Specialist
Certified Fluid Power Accredited Instructor
Applied Technology Center
Milwaukee School of Engineering
1025 North Broadway
Milwaukee, WI 53202-3109
Office: (414) 277-7269
Cell: (414) 940-2232
Medhat has been certified and is a member of many grand institutions such as: Member of Center for Compact and Efficient Fluid Power Engineering Research Center (CCEFP); Member of the Board at the International Fluid Power Society (IFPS); and Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Medhat has 25+ years of experience in fluid power. He has vast experience in modeling and simulation of hydraulic components and systems. Medhat had a comprehensive experience in designing swash plate pumps design, control and port plate optimization. Medhat is very experienced in customizing multipurpose controllers for fluid power systems including hardware and software. Medhat is a nationwide recognized expert in fluid power professional education including instruction, developing curriculums; train the trainers, design training and test stands and developing E-learning modules.
DEStar Consulting LLC
3445 Autumn Woods Drive
Chaska, MN 55318
35+ years experience in the design, development, and application of piston pumps, hydrostatic transmissions, drivetrains, hydraulic hybrids, hydraulic energy storage, and new leading edge hydraulic technologies. Ability to lead component and system projects, drive value analysis/value engineering, assist engineering management, and build engineering capability.
||Thomas S. Wanke, CFPE
TSW Fluid Power Consultants
W165 N9516 Lexington Dr.
Menomonee Falls, WI 53051
45+ years of experience. BS MET Degree with Fluid Power Option; MS Engineering with Fluid Power Specialty Option; IFPS Certified Fluid Power Engineer. Hydraulics system design reviews, reliability, maintenance, troubleshooting, component and system failure analysis. Primarily focused on product liability and expert testimony.
||Thomas J. Labus
1012 Tarrant Drive
Fontana, WI 53215
Experienced (47+ years) engineer, educator and business entrepreneur in the area of fluid power component/systems design, development and application. Capabilities include:
- Modeling and simulation of hydraulic components and systems using various commercial and custom software packages
- Provide in-house training/education in the design and use/application of hydraulic and electro-hydraulic components and systems
- Design of hydraulic cylinders for industrial and mobile applications including sealing technology
- Design/development of hydraulic pumps, valves, motors, cylinders, accumulators, and pressure vessels for a wide operating range of pressures, flows and power
- Short and long term product development based on application requirements
- Litigation support services in product liability and patent infringement cases
Interlynx Systems specializes in driving revenue and market share growth in OEM & MRO markets. We specialize in OEM identification, channel strategies, product positioning and sales process improvement.